Traveling to Italy is a great experience. I would recommend it to all. Many people decide to fly to their final destination, or like most Dutch: Caravan and cycles hitched to some sort of Volvo wagon. We chose a more daring approach. So, many ways to go about describing an 18 hour road trip with two kids in a smallish type of car, oh and with no air conditioning. I realize that when I start to describe details of most stories they often take a sarcastic tone. I do this partly to show the hilarium of it all as well as the freedom in knowing that often we can do the “impossible” and in some way enjoy it.
This time around we chose to drive it in two parts both ways. On our way down to meet up with Stefan’s family we stopped in Brescia to stay one night with Arnoud, Stefan’s eldest brother. The fourteen hours it took us to drive to Brescia was full of juice fetching, snack grabbing and peace making in the backseat. Honestly, I don’t know what it is about traveling and eating horribly. I have eaten more chocolate, gummy bears, and suckers to make a dentist cringe at the leftover wrappers. Just thinking about it makes me want to go and brush my fury teeth.
After a restful night at Arnoud's we stuck around for the morning and then ate lunch together. Debora's Italian cuisine is always delicious. We left their home rested and with full tummies. We drove 4 hours and were finally in the Marche region. There are hills and hills of sunflowers. So beautiful and surprising. It is a region that doesn't get much attention. It is very reminiscent of Toscana with the sunflowers and fields of rolling wheat. I would like to think of it as a precious gem. And by the looks of all of the new constrution others are noticing as well.
That is it for this post, but here are some of the topics for my next:
Il Mare, Sand--scratch that, pebbles
Endless hours of chase and dirty feet: Arden, Ian and Nicholas
The Fearless One and The Manager
Porto Nuovo---Dinner on the beach
4 comments:
How beautiful those pictures are! That is a long road trip with two little ones, I am glad to know that you made it! I look forward to the next few posts.
Have you been following the Tour de France?
I love being able to read your posts and instantly I'm able to picture, feel, and imagine your adventures. When you write posts, to me, you capture the little things that make each one complete. I don't believe they are sarcastic, that's your humor coming through. And we all enjoy every bit of it. So, please keep adding your quirky, silly, and warm self to future posts. Love you!
Hey Kelly! I saw your blog on Stacy's and Jonna's. So I had to see what you've been up to ALL the way across the world!! Your children are precious! I can't wait to see more pictures from your trip.
Shannon
I want to talk soon and hear (in person) all about your trip!!!
Post a Comment