Thursday, June 26, 2008

Purple Monster




Today was a unique day for Arden's school. Instead of meeting at their usual place they had "Zomerfeest" at a playground. All the kids got dropped off by their endearing parents. A day full of sand throwing, popsicle eating, friend chasing and all out party. Most of the parents lingered while their child scoped out this place of supreme outdoor fun. Arden seemed overjoyed by this new scene. I left with Ian in tow and we headed to a friends house about 20, brisk, minutes away by foot. Little did I know that the Arden I left would not be the same Arden when I returned. . .

I returned to the playground about 5-10 minutes early. I thought it would be good to watch from the sidelines. There was already a line of parents forming outside of this "speeltuin". We are all jocking for position to see our kids. As I am craning my neck to find Arden, I notice a couple of kids with painted faces. There was one kid with a tiger, another with a butterfly, and another with a flower. Typical, standard face painting icons, right???? That is when I spot Arden. . . . Her entire face looks almost black. I actually thought to myself, "wow, she has been working so hard. Her face gets so red, just like mine." Her face was not red or black. It was completely covered in purple. She didn't want a couple dots here or there, nope, completely purple. I had to laugh. If you could have just seen her in the mix with all of the lions, tigers, and sweet flowers. BAM: THE PURPLE MONSTER.

I talked with one of her teaches as we were leaving. Juf Patty, one of Arden's favorite teachers, was saying that all Arden requested was to be the "Purple Monster". What is this famed creature? I haven't a clue, but it is unique and stands out, that is for certain---just like Miss Arden. Strangely, I was so proud of her for thinking up something so random and original.


And surprisingly we were able to keep most of the paint on until Stefan arrived home. He had to witness such a ferocious monster. Ha.

4 comments:

Jenna Jean said...

I wish I could have seen her, that is too cute. I have tried to get my girls face painted and she wants nothing to do with it!

Jonna said...

I can TOTALLY see her doing that! Too cute!

Jennifer said...

Picture... Please say you got a picture of the brilliantly imaginative chunky-monkey? Purple Monster...love it!!!

Jennifer said...

Love the picture!!! Love Arden!!

MAKING MEMORIES AND SHARING LIFE.

Keeping up to speed with a crazy new adventure and the family that dared to attempt life in a new land.