Tuesday, July 15, 2008

3 1/2, 15, 29: Just numbers right??



While Arden might act like she is 3 1/2 going on 15, I guess I have a little acting to do as well.

Arden and I must start acting our age. Soon we will be mistaken for the same person, oh know!! Okay, so that might be an extreme exaggeration, but the comparison gets closer and closer to the same age. Recently, while in Italy, I had a woman say that she thought I was Arden's sister. Hmm. . .please, can anyone make me feel good about a comment like that!! She honestly thought I was 15. Great. Needless to say that did not sit well with me. By writing about it, I hope to not bore the rest of population with my crazed story telling. Maybe this way I can put it "to bed". This wouldn't be so bad if it was coming from an 80 year old woman that was being sweet. No, it just had to be coming from a woman relatively close to my age and ready for a full night of being seen in the Italian scene (dress, high heels, and very womanly). I, on the other hand, was dressed for comfort. Flip flops, capri jeans, tank and I think my hair was wrapped in a bandanna (I thought that was a nice touch). As I write this I realize it is pretty hilarious, but at the time I was furious. It just hit the wrong nerve. I am tired of being seen as "young". For some reason it brings to mind a lot of other words that aren't so complimentary. Don't get me wrong, if I am 45 and still look like Arden's sister, that would be a great thing.

I wish I had a picture of myself when I was 15 (braces and big hair) I would have liked to think that I have made great strides since then. . .years, maturity, love, children. . .these age a person, right? I talked to Stefan about this, seeing how it was so troubling to me. Our conversation went something like this:

Kelly: "Stefan, what was that? Honestly, do I really look or seem 15? Give me a break. That is just not a compliment, right? I guess I forgot my high heels and my slinky dress, oh, and a little more make-up."

Stefan: "No. Kelly, all you have to do is stop smiling, oh, and no laughing. That will automatically make you look older, burdened and more Italian. You will never fit into this culture and that is okay."

Finito! I will stop ranting. Too much time on my hands to toss this one silly comment around in my head. There are so many ways to twist and turn words. Don't go down a dark, self degrading tunnel without asking: "Who am I, really? And what is the truth about me?" Let us start thinking before we speak and remember to never stop smiling. He, he.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh Kelly, Stefan is right. Please never stop smiling. You smile is infectious. It lights up a room and immediately makes everyone else smile. And you have taught that to Arden, which is great. You have a wonderful husband, great children and lovely adventures to look forward to, what's not to smile about!

The Booys said...

stop being so sweet!!! Grrr. . . I was trying to show the raw, overly self involved side of me!!!! He. he. But thanks.

Shankle Life said...

Well, I for one think you look like a wrinkled old overly tired overextended hag mom. Is that better???? :)

I'll take 15 any day! By the way, I went to a resale shop the other day to try to sell my clothes that didn't sell in my garage sale. The little teenagers that worked at the shop picked up my clothes like they were infected with the bird flu, after skimming through a few things (I had 2 full huge rubbermaid bins overflowing with clothes) they said "um, no thanks, it's not exactly what we are looking for". . .I tried to explain to them that all the good stuff was down toward the bottom and to keep digging, and they gave this knowning glance to one another (like a "bless this old mom's little heart. . .she thinks her old dorky mom clothes are worthy of being in our trendy little resale shop") again the girl said "well, it's just all a little "older" than what we are looking for".
Take 15 as a compliment!!!! :)

Tricia said...

Great minds think alike! HA! Love those pics!

Yes... Stefan is right. Older and more burdended is no way to look.

Trust me... no one is mistaking me for a sibling of my children... HA! So just enjoy it! HA!

Courtney said...

Hey... some of us were just born with baby faces. When we are 40, we will look 20. Life is good!!!

MIZHUB said...

keep on smilin....thanks for stopping to visit me...enjoyed seeing you and the kids and your mom....'I told John Marc that I saw you and he said to tell you both Hello.

MAKING MEMORIES AND SHARING LIFE.

Keeping up to speed with a crazy new adventure and the family that dared to attempt life in a new land.