I fell in love with Ikea about 8 years ago. It was my first visit to Italy to meet Stefan's family. We spent some time in Italy and in Holland. I think I visited Ikea in both places. I remember being struck by the designs, the price, and how everything was space conscious. It felt like a smart and fun way to shop for just about anything for your home. I came back from that trip Ikea crazed. My roommate from college can attest to this. I had never seen anything like it! I even emailed corporate asking when they would be going live--- I wanted to invest, oh, and if they would be opening an Ikea near Little Rock, Memphis, etc. He. he.I will admit, my honeymoon stage is over. But I do still love the store, and here are 10 reasons why:
1. There are fun things for kids to do around each corner. It could be the random smattering of play kiosks, or the stuffed animals in the kids section, or maybe the egg shaped chair shown in the picture below. Arden especially likes this. She thinks it is a great place to "hide". Little does she know that her voice gives her away every time.

2. It is a bright, cheery, colorful place to hang out. Surprisingly, there are a lot of people that go to just hang out or grab a bite to eat. This leads me to my third reason.
3. Kids meal = 1.95 euros. (chicken nuggets, fries, drink, and ice cream) What!!!
4. Getting to eat most of Ian's ice cream.
5. Names that I can never pronounce: Kvarno(two dots over the "o"), Ektorp, Kaxig, and etc. Sort of funny. I am sure they are very common Swedish names, but I will probably always describe a piece as follows, "You know that funny looking chair that you can stack one on top of each other and it still rocks back and forth. Oh, and it is made out of bamboo leaves! Yah, you know, that one."
6. The pillow and cushion section!! I love them all. I will take two of each. Thank you.
7. Ikea has wonderful display rooms. They show the world what it could look like to live in a 300 sqft living space. I love this. It is mind blowing how efficient we as humans could be if given the chance and something cute and stackable.
8. Inspiration
9. These were Arden's curtains in her room back in Little Rock. I love, loved them. Ian came along and they shared a room, so they stayed (not too girly, right.) Now, these curtains are hanging in my bathroom and in the kids room again. Will I ever part? I may need to make a quilt out of them some day. . . Bridget. . . !!!

10. I love Ikea for many reasons, but one final reason is because it holds a bizarre, special, warm fuzzy place in my heart. I had such a great first visit (new land, man I loved, complete experience) that it left a permanent smiley face. Great memories.
1 comment:
girl you know I am with you on this one. Ikea is full of warm fuzzies for me too and I adore those curtains of yours - so great, a classic Ikea design!
Post a Comment