Tuesday, April 15, 2008

We came, we ran, and we survived!



Okay, so we didn't run a marathon, but a 10k is a good start! Back in the fall Stefan signed us up for the Rotterdam 10k. We thought it would be a good way for us to get some exercise and hopefully spend some time together. It was my first race and I would have to say that it was good, not great but good. I have never been a fan of long distances. I have never been in a race longer than a half mile, and that was back in high school. These types of events are so inspirational. The entire course I had this older woman in front of me that kept a steady pace. She had one of those super cute belts with 4 hand held water bottles attached. Very smart. I was also encouraged to see a woman running the race with stroller and baby in tow. I think I will stick to the shorter distances. I like the feeling of accomplishment, but don't think that marathons are in my future.

Next time I run I will be sure to check my toe nails. I have heard horror stories about bloody toes, and horrible blisters. None of those for me, but I did have one toe that was a little sore. I think I had a nail that needed to be shortened. What an experience! As Stefan and I were walking back to the fast ferry (chosen mode of tranportation due to roads being closed) we couldn't help but fall into the "patat" trap. There were several french fry stands along the road. We were hungary and thought that it would be a great way to celebrate our success. So, as we munch away on our patats we see a bunch of marathon runners round the corner in pain and agony. Yes, I think I will stick to 10k's and french fries!!!

4 comments:

Melissa Johnston said...

That's awesome Kelly!! I'd be wanting some french fries when I finished too!

Jonna said...

Nicely done!!! I totally would have indulged in the frites as well. Ketchup please.

Love you!

Tricia said...

Wow... good for you! I don't run without being chased - ever, seriously. I would have to "eliptical" my marathon inside with air conditioning! HA!

And, of course, as you know, french fries are one of my favorite ways to celebrate anything!

Love the pictures - so glad you had a good time with your friends visiting. Miss you, girl!
Luv - Tricia :-)

Sarah McConnell said...

Second cousin Sarah here. Aunt Gerry shared your blog with the McConnell clan. Frites met mayonaise! My favorite. Love your blog. Keep it up!

MAKING MEMORIES AND SHARING LIFE.

Keeping up to speed with a crazy new adventure and the family that dared to attempt life in a new land.