Sunday, August 16, 2009

I think I can, I think I can.



Yesterday, we got up early and took Stefan to the airport! There is always an exciting air about going to the airport. The kids love it. I enjoy it, even if it is to send my husband off over the ocean by himself to do business. It was a successful departure and re-entry into the states for Stefan. And on our end, we had no tears, maybe sad and tired hearts. I heard later that once Stefan touched down in Philly the customs officer gave a bit of fuss over him not living in the US, but eventually Stefan was given clearance. Yippee. That is good news.

Well, funny story here: While Stefan was watching his movies, resting his eyes, working his finger to the bone, or whatever he chose to do on his quiet, and hopefully "restful" flight (can you hint a bit of envy?), I, along with the kids were driving home on a beatiful sunny late morning. It was nearing noon, and the kids were almost asleep in the car. They were extra tired due to the late summer nights and us having to get up early to take Stefan to the airport.

I was driving on limited fuel. I knew that. But, there had been no orange light as of yet, and I was quite familiar with my distances and location. I just knew that I would be able to make it to my usual fill up station right off of the highway and exit that leads straight toward our the house. I mean, I was so close and when the light did come on I was not worried. Still so close. We have no air conditioning so that was not a worry! I even slowed down to a modest 100 kmh, thinking that was the wise thing to do. As I see the first exit sign for Harderwijk/ Strand Horst. . . (my exit) I notice the car slowing down. Hmm. . . I knew immediately that I was going to coast. My fuel was finished, and I proceeded to recite, "I think I can. (moving back and forth, hoping those movements would help my car to continue in motion) I think I can! We coast to a stop, and end up right in front of the very last exit sign and next to a emergency call stand on the side of the road.

Feeling a bit stupid and a bit tickled at the circumstances I walk over to the call station and try to explain my situation to the attendent. In the end, I decide to walk with my two kids to the gas station that is literally in my eyes view! Classic adventure. Ian is riding piggy-back, and Arden is being strictly ordered to walk beside me in the grass. We proceed to walk to the gas station with my one plastic water bottle in tow!! The scene is sad and funny all at the same time!!! We had walked maybe 30 feet when a car with a mother and child of 1 1/2 stop to help us!! Praise God. We laughed together about the situation. This kind woman even gave us an extra water bottle to fill up. The kids stayed in her car,(I know she could have been crazy and drove off with my kids, and I even made a joke about how she knows what it is like to have kids. . . so i trusted she didn't want any more "responsibility"), while I went to the tank and filled up my two water bottles. I think in total it was like 60 euro cents worth and probably 10 cents of that spewed onto my hand, shirt and pants! Nice. Not as easy as you would think.

So, in the end, kind Dutch woman drove us back to our car and even gave Ian a juice box!!! Warms your heart, huh!!! I thanked her profusely and wished her a lovely day and said, "I hope to repay your kindness by helping out someone in need"! The kids watched me as I poured the neon yellow/green liquid into our gas tank! It was not very much as you can imagine! We climbed into the car. I told the kids that we should say a prayer that this gasoline will be enough to start to car and get us to the same gas station! Arden was laughing at my prayer. I think she thought it was silly, but I was being silly and genuine at the same time!!!

Ahhh, at the turn of the key the car started and we were off again to the station to fill up. Humiliation behind us, lessons learned, and thankful that God can spin such a situation in a way that I can see the joy and blessing in it all! I started to see the analogy in it all. . . the running empty, the thinking we can do it all by ourselves, the needing help, the sending of a Savior and being given more than we anticipated!! That is our God!

3 comments:

Bennett fam said...

Beautifully written! So sorry that happened! :( You are such an awesome person! You have such a great outlook! :) Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

Kelly! Tell us about why you're moving back to the states! I bet your Mom & Dad are thrilled beyond words!

Funny story about the gas!

Erica said...

What a good story and analogy; I suppose Jesus still speaks through stories!

MAKING MEMORIES AND SHARING LIFE.

Keeping up to speed with a crazy new adventure and the family that dared to attempt life in a new land.