Saturday, September 27, 2008

More introductions.

I think it is only natural for me to want to share some important people in our lives here in Holland with you fine people all over the world. (okay, mainly Arkansas, but some other far reaching parts as well)



This weekend we had the chance to see Arden and Ian run in a race and cheer on a friend of ours. (I know she is going to say, 'I can't believe you posted that picture!" but isn't that what we all would say? She looks great, silly gal.) Here is Sandra with Arden and Ian. Sandra has become one of our dear American friends here in Holland. Her husband, Brian is in the program with Stefan. Sandra has several 10k's under her belt along with at least one half marathon. We showed up to support Sandra and the kids even got to join in on the action. Arden and Ian ran the 275 meter run. Of course all participating got medals. The kids even received mints, gum and a handy little flash light. Arden slept with the flash light and allowed me to turn off her Winnie the Pooh light. I guess she felt secure in her new hand held power. Anyway, Goed gedaan guys!!!



After the race, we headed to a birthday party. It was Brooke's 1st Birthday.


Brooke: 1 year, precious and quick on her feet


I met Brooke's mom, Kim, back in March. And from day one I knew I had to latch on to her. I literally said, " I need to know you." She was from the south, American, had two kids, same stroller, Dutch husband, and in a foreign land. Hello!!! Same story, second verse. She and her husband moved to Alblasserdam in Feb. 08. Arden and their eldest, Dalton, go to school together. It has been so nice to have a friend in her. What a special blessing, in a very familiar wrapping. A little piece of home away from home.



Okay, Okay, I made the cake, but I was just so darn proud of the blue bird. Gotta love edible animal cake toppers.


This is Kim and baby Brooke. Kim and her husband Patrick have moved from the Houston area. It really is an amazing story to find two American gals, from the South , in this little town of Alblasserdam.



Last but, certainly, not least. . . enter, Dalton! This is big bro to Brooke. Dalton is the cutest, spunkiest little guy I know. He loves bug, spiders, snails, really anything that crawls and is covered in dirt. He is sort of like John Wayne trapped in this toddlers body with the cutest little voice and adorable blue eyes and blonder than blonde hair. For Brooke's birthday, he just had to be a fashionable spider. He wore the outfit the entire time that we celebrated. I love it. I met Kim on the road yesterday as she was walking Dalton to school. We both had that look in our eyes, the look that says, "Today is not a good day, and yes, I am in a bad mood, please note that I warned you!!" She said that she had just spent 15 minutes prying the spider costume from Dalton's grip. He was set on wearing it to school that day. Ouch!! Yah, I could see how that could be a bit distracting for the rest of the class. But, oh, think of the lessons that could evolve from just one costume. . . learning numbers, animals, spider=spin (in Dutch), food chain, etc.

I have already thought of several other people I need to introduce to you all. One in particular (Henny, my hero) and I am pretty sure she needs an entire blog entry to her title!!

3 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

I love that Arden is biting her medal, as if to test it to see if it's really gold.

I'm sure that wasn't her intention, but hysterical either way.

Glad you've formed friendships there. I'm not surprised though, you are like a human magnet. Who wouldn't want to know you?

Jonna said...

Loved this. BTW-the cake is VERY impressive!!! I was thinking it was a professional one until I read further. You're just amazing!

Jenna Jean said...

I am so glad that you found some nice gals and kiddies to befriend!

Wonderful cake!!!

MAKING MEMORIES AND SHARING LIFE.

Keeping up to speed with a crazy new adventure and the family that dared to attempt life in a new land.