Friday, August 22, 2008

The Cake.

4 New Pictures of Finished Product


1.
2.
3.
4.



One week. Hours of planning and worrying. Several trips to Planet Cake. Hours researching. Help from friends, books, internet and Duncan Hines. Sugar all over my kitchen. Oven remaining on for days at a time. Approx. 200 cupcakes, 5lbs of powdered sugar, and arthritic hands from cutting out flowers. Fear of the tier. First time with fondant. Wanting to please the Bride and Groom!!! I survived and so did the cake.

Honestly, it was one of the most creative adventures. Lilly had a lot of faith to put her trust in a girl that just likes to dable with birthday cakes. Bless her heart. She gave a first timer (at wedding cakes at least) a chance to expand horizons and take on something grander than Elmo. I loved it. It was so exciting to see this come together and each step I was doing a little dance.





Assembling the tiered cake was just as scary as rolling out the fondant and making sure the cakes were completely covered. I am sure that I put at least a dozen support rods in each tier. I was so worried that I was going to produce a droopy cake. Definitely not perfection but I was proud of the work I had completed.

We had many compliments and even better was when I removed the sheer cloth(used to keep the flies from swarming. . . we were on a farm!). Lilly and Ferdinand cut their cake, fed each other, gently, and then began the line of children. There was a lot of pointing and kids with wide eyes that were seeming to say, "Do I really get to eat those gleaming balls of sugar?"

9 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

I can't believe you made that! It looks amazing!

Jonna said...

Looks beautiful!!! Nicely done! Can't wait to see you! :D

Stacy said...

i couldn't be more impressed. you are a superstar.

Shankle Life said...

my jaw is on the floor......who knew you were so talented????? Quit setting the bar so high, you make us buy-it-at-the-store mom's look like wimps : ) I thought you were coming here????? Don't tell me I missed you guys!

Tricia said...

Wow... beautiful job! That cake is fabulous! And the cupcakes too!

I remember when you first started dabbling in the cake decorating... very impressive!

So good to see you this week, my friend. Enjoy the rest of your visit! Talk soon!

Luv - Tricia :-)

Unknown said...

AMAZING! So wish I could have had a slice. Or a ball of sugar!

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

What a beautiful cake and decorations! You amaze me! Hope you don't mind I read your blog, Mom talks about it all the time. Your children are absolutely beautiful! I give you so much credit for making the move, what a wonderful experience. Although I'm sure your Mom and Dad miss you!

Sue McConnell Garber

Aisha said...

So I asked Stefan about the cake yesterday and he told me to check the blog. It looks absolutely amazing. You have some serious talent!

Unknown said...

Henny and I (Naomi) are just admiring your wonderful baking/decorating skills. I am scraping my jaw off the floor. Amazing. Very impressive. Well done you!!!
Naomi and Henny

MAKING MEMORIES AND SHARING LIFE.

Keeping up to speed with a crazy new adventure and the family that dared to attempt life in a new land.