Friday, March 14, 2008

Domestic. . . sort of.

>

Okay, so, here is a picture of my washing machine. Don't get me wrong, I am super greatful that I have one that works quite well, and the fact that I don't have to wash clothes by hand is a big plus in my book, but. . . it is very different. So, I thought some would be interested.


It is a top loading machine, which is a great energy and resource saver but it is rather small. If you take a close look you can make out the "directions for use", plainly printed in Dutch and German on the inside of the cover. Nice. It was a little overwhelming for me at first. I did have Stefan's mom show me the one cycle that I have used since moving here. I think it is funny. I look at all of the directions and laugh. I do wonder sometimes if I am missing out on some great miracle cycle that will get out every single stain, but I am okay with sticking to what I know. The spaghetti stain will have to stay.

On to the next appliance, my refrigerator and freezer. As I was taking these pictures I thought, "This is a bit strange, but it might still be interesting to see what I see on a regular basis." All things consider we have a large cool box. I have no complaints with the size of the refrigerator itself, but the freezer could be a little bigger. I have seen the tiniest of fridges here. This fact is very relevant in the way the Dutch frequent the markets, grocery stores, and surrounding fresh fruit street vendors. Their lifestyle is a bit different from the huge Wal-mart runs that I was use to.





Okay, maybe this was a bizarre entry, but every once in a while I think about what it was like, living day in and day out, in Arkansas. This is not so different, but just enough to catch you off guard and throw you into a new rhythm.

Happy washing and eet smaaklijk!!

4 comments:

Deanna said...

Hey, I found your blog through the Musselmans so I think we work in the same business. Welcome to Europe and hope your time here is just awesome! About the dryers... mine looks like it doubles as a cheese grater:) We are passing through Amsterdam/Harlem for just a day in a week or two. Any thoughts on what a visitor with limited time should see?

Unknown said...

DO NOT get you fingers stuck in that washer contraption. good grief house work = danger!

Jonna said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing!

I really need to get on skype with you. I'm try really hard to do it in the next day or so!

Love you!

Tricia said...

Interesting... the little metal doors on the washer look strange. What's that about??

Post some pics of your place when you get a chance so we can see it.

Hope you're doing well. Miss you!
Anymore biking adventures?
LOVE YOU - Tricia :-)

MAKING MEMORIES AND SHARING LIFE.

Keeping up to speed with a crazy new adventure and the family that dared to attempt life in a new land.